Beautiful skin starts with your diet. A well-balanced diet can not only help you live longer and feel better, it can also help you look younger. Topical anti-aging treatments can only go so far. But, you can fight aging from the inside out by eating foods rich in antioxidants, which slow down the signs of aging by fighting against free radical damage. Turn back the clock with these 10 delicious anti-aging foods:
- Pomegranates. This fruit is packed with vitamin C, which helps guard against the wrinkling effects of sun damage. The juice in pomegranate seeds contains both ellagic acid and punicalagin. The first is a polyphenol compound that fights damage from free radicals; the second is a super-nutrient that may increase your body’s capacity to preserve collagen.
- Blueberries. These delicious berries contain more antioxidants than almost any other food! They can give your skin extra protection against the skin-damaging free radicals that result from sun exposure and emotional stress. Just half-a-cup every day will help to prevent the cell-structure damage that can lead to loss of firmness, fine lines, and wrinkles.
- Spinach. This vital veggie contains special phytonutrients, or antioxidant compounds, that help guard against damage caused by the sun. Spinach is loaded with beta-carotene and lutein, two nutrients that have been shown to improve skin’s firmness and elasticity.
- Cold Water Fish. Sardines, salmon, and mackerel contain omega-3 fatty acids, which strengthen skin-cell membranes, helping keep moisture in. Consuming two servings of fish a week can reduce chronic skin inflammations, like eczema and psoriasis.
- Tomatoes. They are so much more than a pretty salad topping! Tomatoes are packed with vitamin C, which helps build collagen, resulting in firmer, plumper-looking skin. Tomatoes also contain lycopene, which helps protect your skin from UV damage and play an important role in improving your cardiovascular health.
- Watermelon. This refreshing, sweet treat contains everybody’s favorite antioxidant, vitamin C—plus lycopene and potassium—which regulate the balance of water and nutrients in cells.
- Cucumber. These are very hydrating vegetables, and staying hydrated is one way to stay looking and feeling young. The silica in the peel helps promote collagen production. Buy them unwaxed if possible.
- Brazil Nuts. Selenium, a powerful mineral that aids in the production of the anti-aging antioxidant glutathione, can be found in Brazil nuts. This mineral repairs cell damage, and protects your skin from free radical damage. . According to a recent study in New Zealand, just two nuts a day can help you consume necessary amount of selenium for powerful antioxidant protection.
- Avocado. Like nuts and fish, avocados have a lot of good-for-you (and your skin) fats, but they are also high in glutathione (like Brazil nuts), which helps fight aging process. Avocados are also one of the richest sources of monounsaturated fats and contain biotin and oleic acid for healthy skin.
- Green Tea. This healthy brew contains catechins (one of the most effective compounds for preventing sun damage like hyperpigmentation) and polyphenols (antioxidants that combat free-radical damage and may reverse the effects of aging). Green tea also contains the amino acid L-Theanine, which induces calming effect and promotes relaxation..
These healthy and delicious foods give us numerous benefits, including sun protection and anti-aging properties, helping us to eat our way to health that’s #BetterEveryDay.