Inclusive Health Grocery Shopping Tips

Part of the Inclusive Health® lifestyle that encourages cells to act younger is the choices we make regarding the foods we eat. Beautiful skin—and a healthy body overall—starts with the water we carry in every cell in our bodies.

Pitcher of Health
To help people visualize what healthy eating should look like, I created what I call the “Pitcher of Health.” By following this simple eating guideline, you can help strengthen your cells, increase your cellular water and get the nutrients you need for a healthy and happy life. This is in no way a strict or “fad” diet. On the contrary, it is a recommendation that will help you design your own blueprint for a healthy eating strategy.

A key aspect to think about as you look at the Pitcher of Health is to consider these guidelines as part of what I call the “80/20” rule. The food you eat should consist of roughly 80%  great, healthy nutritious foods, while the remaining 20% or so can be comfort foods. I’m a strong believer in this philosophy because those who stick to an all-healthy diet tend to end up craving the less healthy, but enjoyable foods all the time. If you never allow yourself the joy to experience your favorite treats in moderation, eating can become a chore and the tendency to binge eat will be much greater.

Grocery List
To get you started, below is a Pitcher of Health-inspired sample grocery list that I’ve filled with some of my own favorite foods. Remember that these are just suggestions, and you should feel free to substitute similar foods you enjoy if there are items on the list you personally don’t like or are allergic to.

Fruit (3+ Servings):

  • Dried goji berries
  • Bananas
  • Organic apples
  • Blueberries
  • Pomegranate
  • Watermelon

Vegetables (5+ Servings):

  • Broccoli
  • Kale
  • Tomatoes
  • Spinach
  • Cucumber
  • Brussels sprouts

Whole Grains (4 – 8 Servings)

  • Whole wheat bread
  • Whole wheat pasta
  • Oats and oatmeal
  • Quinoa
  • Buckwheat

Lean Protein (4 – 6 Servings)

  • Chicken breasts
  • Edamame
  • Greek yogurt
  • Eggs
  • Tilapia

Fats (3 – 4 Servings)

  • Nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews, pecans, etc.)
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Wild salmon
  • Avocado
  • Flaxseed


  • Multivitamin
  • Essential fatty acids


  • Frozen yogurt
  • A bar of dark chocolate
  • Yogurt parfait

Making Inclusive Health changes to your diet is likely easier than you think. By merely making slight shifts in what you pick up at the grocery store, you can learn a way of eating–and living—that’s sustainable and healthy for you and your family.

Article by Howard Murad, M.D., FAAD, a world renowned skincare expert and founder of the Inclusive Health movement.

Follow Dr. Murad on Twitter
Engage with Dr. Murad on Facebook

Leave a Reply