Summer is a great time for relaxing, renewing and concentrating on the most important person in your life – YOU! As you go through life’s journey – whether you’re on vacation, spending time with family, or just enjoying the summer weather, keep in mind some of these insights that I have garnered through my years as a physician.
- Before there was medicine, there was food. Take part in all the wonderfully, healthy treats this season has to offer every cell in your body, particularly the fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- Return to your youth. Summer is a time for playfulness. Return to your youthful spirit with some finger painting or a game of tag.
- Give yourself permission to say no. When we are spending time with family on vacation, it’s tempting to just “check in” with work. Give yourself permission to say “no” and concentrate 100% of your attention on yourself.
- Be thankful…for there is so much to be thankful for! Look around. The flowers are blooming, the sun is shining and the birds are chirping. We live in a wonderful world.
- Choose the best environment for you. When choosing a vacation spot this summer, make sure you choose somewhere you can relax and renew. This will mean different places to different people. For some, it’s on a beach listening to the waves; for others it’s exploring our nation’s history. Whatever makes you happy, choose to be in that environment this summer.
- Find education wherever it resides. I am a big proponent of the “School of Life.” And there is no better time than the summer to experience all the helpful information that life has to offer.
- Make your journey without a destination. How about a special vacation where you just get in the car and go? No destination, no plan, just experience life. You never know what you will find!
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the details when planning a vacation that it becomes more stressful than relaxing. Take it easy and don’t worry about the little things. You’ll find that you will enjoy your vacation much more overall!
- Allow yourself to take a chance. This summer, break out of your comfort zone and do something new. What is holding you back?
Share your favorite summer insights in the comments below.
Article by Howard Murad, M.D., FAAD, a world renowned skincare expert and founder of the Inclusive Health movement.